REPORTS TO: Director of Curriculum and Instruction
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly/10-month employee
SUMMARY: Resident Teachers at Albany Leadership are regular full-time employees, and are
essential to the overall, day-to-day functioning of the school building. Resident Teachers are
responsible for accessing and following lesson plans and for providing instruction, classroom
management, and promoting student learning in the absence of the regular classroom teacher when
covering. Primarily, Resident Teachers are responsible for providing uninterrupted student learning
along the continuum. Resident teachers should possess strong classroom management skills and be
able to maintain a classroom environment that reflects and promotes Albany Leadership’s College
Prep vision and mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Teach classes on behalf of teacher-leaders who are observing other teachers;
● Provide substitute teaching coverage for teachers within the school;
● Potentially teach one class or small groups of students;
● Develop teaching skills to potentially become a full-time teacher at the school;
● Observe teacher-leaders in order to improve instructional techniques and classroom
● Meet regularly with a instructional supervisor to implement feedback;
● Assist teachers with instruction, assessments, grading, and other classroom
As appropriate, perform all duties expected of classroom teachers, including but not limited
● Implementing curricula and activities to meet academic standards;
● Designing and implementing assessments that measure progress towards
● Participating in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and
school-wide functions, events, and trips;
● Providing consistency with student behavior;
● Supervising students during transitions, breakfast, lunch and afterschool;
● Communicating effectively with students, families, and colleagues;
● Participating in an annual two-week staff orientation and training.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
● Minimum of 60 college credit hours
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Experience working with high school students preferred
● Experience working in a charter school preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
● NYS teaching certification preferred
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be
able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret lesson plans, technical procedures,
and textbooks. Ability to write general correspondence. Ability, both orally and in writing, to
present information effectively and respond appropriately to questions and concerns from
individuals, administrators, parents, and students.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts. Ability to apply
concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, staff, and parents
through oral and written communication.
● Ability to perform duties with awareness of corporation requirements.
● Ability to implement lessons based on corporation and school objectives, and student
needs and abilities.
● Ability to participate in all school events and meetings.
● Ability to gather, collate, and/or classify data.
● Ability to use job-related technology and equipment, including digital teaching and
● Flexibility to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances and settings
● Ability to work within a diverse environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following
physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing,
and significant fine finger dexterity.
The noise level will vary depending on the daily activity. The employee must often meet deadlines and
must report to class and/or duty assignments on time. The work environment includes inside and
outside areas. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and
additional duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Albany Leadership actively encourages applications from candidates with broad and diverse
backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs.