The Policy Manager will work with the CEO and Policy Committee to identify, prioritize, collaborate and advocate on issues important to Capital Roots within the frameworks of Food Access, Food Production, Just and Healthy Communities, and Realigning Food System Funding, Regulations and Policy.
Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years of professional work experience (policy experience preferred); Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills; Outstanding organizational and problem-solving abilities; Skill in developing and maintaining effective partnerships and collaborations; Passionate about Capital Roots’ mission and impact; Commitment to results; "can-do" mindset with emphasis on accountability; Spark, imagination, creativity, flexibility.
• Track local, regional and national legislative and policy issues that support Capital Roots’ strategic goals and keep staff, board and the community informed.
• Collect and maintain up-to-date data on key policy and advocacy issues. Develop issue-oriented advocacy content for communication vehicles such as emails, websites, social media, etc.
• Compile and share research and other data related to local, regional and statewide efforts to support behavior change through evidence-based, best practice policy.
• Assist in the preparation, editing, and distribution of policy briefs, research, support materials.
• Work to implement policies where appropriate to increase Healthy Food Access, Improve our Food System, and Create Just and Healthy Communities.
• Direct Regional Food Policy Council.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Annual Salary $48,750, flexible work environment. We offer comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit valued at ~$8,000). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Amy Klein, CEO
594 River Street |Troy NY 12180 or [email protected]
No Calls Please
About Capital Roots - Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.