Healthy Communities Director
OBJECTIVE: Work with the CEO to direct the organization's Community Gardening, Urban Greening and Healthy Streets programs. Develop and enhance relationships with partner organizations, lead development of new gardens, greening efforts and complete streets projects, support existing gardens and projects and create conditions to ensure successful experiences for all program participants.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in related fields. Community engagement, program management and food/retail background is desirable. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment, meet multiple deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail; superior organizational and project management skills and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written preferred. Must have a positive attitude, high energy level, and a genuine interest in the mission of our organization.
• Managing the objectives of the Healthy Streets Coordinator. Facilitating coordination and execution of urban greening projects and Complete Streets measures with area municipalities to improve City streetscapes and living conditions.
• Maintain inventory of Complete Streets materials and infrastructure both in house and those distributed throughout the region
• Managing the activities of the Garden Organizers to maintain gardens and support gardeners while communicating clear expectations, distributing resources, and building relationships with participating community gardeners across service area.
• Applying Capital Roots’ community gardens model consistently across four county service area
• Creating and executing yearly maintenance plans for strengthening existing community gardens and garden development plans for securing and constructing new sites.
• Expanding program reach while maintaining existing garden properties
• Scheduling registrations, orientations, and work parties
• Identifying place-based educational topics and working with team to create seasonal class and workshop schedule for gardens
• Fostering collaborative environment in all settings
• Performing site assessments
• Meeting with prospective and current partners to develop and sustain partnerships and identify project opportunities
• Drafting contracts and development budgets
• Creating and promoting opportunities to engage volunteers
SALARY & BENEFITS: This position is a full-time non-exempt position with a salary of $48,750 per year. Excellent benefits including comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit valued at ~$8,000). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Amy Klein, CEO | Capital Roots
594 River Street, Troy NY 12180 | or by email: [email protected]
NO CALLS PLEASE!
About Capital Roots - Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.