Good Food Market Store Clerk
Posted 12/11/23 - The Retail Market Assistant works in communities to support Capital Roots’ retail fresh food access programs. They provide direct services to consumers via our Mobile Markets (Veggie Mobile® and Veggie Mobile® Sprout), Healthy Stores and Good Food Market.
• Excellent customer service and sales skills with a friendly, outgoing, and positive disposition.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, excellent problem solving, self-motivated and a team player.
• Ability to handle money and make change, process credit cards and use digital scales.
• Experience working with diverse communities including people of all ages and backgrounds.
• Must be comfortable driving a cargo van and 16’ box truck (no CDL required); must have a valid driver's license with the ability to drive and a driving record acceptable for insurance coverage.
• Ability to lift boxes in excess of 50 pounds.
• Some knowledge about fruits and vegetables (the willingness to learn) is a plus.
• Must have a genuine interest in the mission of Capital Roots.
• Execute all retail markets programs effectively: engaging all customers, solving unique logistical problems, and have an innate ability to build genuine and trusting relationships among customers, volunteers and co-workers.
• Maintain collaborative relationships with community partners, co-workers and volunteers.
• Conduct outreach to constituent communities, new healthy store partners, organizations and service partners.
• Assist in the day-to-day finances and sales data for retail programs and tracking sales trends and customers served.
• Support the daily functions of the markets and food hub including sales, marketing, merchandising, packing, bagging, stocking, cleaning and moving large quantities of produce and equipment/materials.
• Safely operate Capital Roots vehicles in both city and rural areas, keeping vehicles clean and functional.
• Must participate in Capital Roots’ events, staff meetings, and all other duties as needed.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time non-exempt position (40 hours per week) paid at an annual rate of $32,240 per year, in a flexible work environment. Excellent benefits including comprehensive medical insurance and dental insurance upon hire. In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays – including three floating holidays – and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan.
About Capital Roots
Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to cultivate and nourish communities by creating equitable access to fresh foods and green space in support of a robust regional food system. To learn more go to www.capitalroots.org.
Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
Send cover letter and resume (no calls please) to:
Trevor Cody, Retail Markets Manager
Capital Roots, 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180 |email: [email protected]