Special Counsel - Office of the Rensselaer County Attorney
POSITION: Special Counsel
LAST DATE TO FILE: Applications accepted until vacancy is filled.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY: At the present time, the Office of the Rensselaer County Attorney has an opening for the position of Special Counsel. No Civil Service examination will be required. Interested applicants must submit a resume and three letters of reference.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: The incumbent in this position is required to be a resident of Rensselaer County no later than within 90 days upon taking office and remain so during the entire term of appointment.
JOB DESCRIPTION: This position involves responsibility for assisting the County Attorney in representing Rensselaer County in civil matters involving the County and performing all such duties pertaining to the County Attorney’s office as may be directed by the County Attorney.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: The Special Counsel will perform such duties pertaining to the office as may be directed by the County Attorney, including:
• Draft, review, negotiate and close contracts and other legal documents under the direction of the County Attorney;
• Draft and review, as well as be responsible for and oversee filing with the Legislature, local laws and resolutions under the direction of the County Attorney;
• Assist and advise on compliance matters throughout the County, including Corporate Compliance Committee governance, protected health information privacy matters, and ethics reviews and disclosures;
• Assist the County Attorney with special projects assigned by the County Attorney on an ongoing basis;
• Provide legal advice, opinions and analysis to any department of County government when and as directed by the County Attorney.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Must be an attorney admitted to, and in good standing with, the New York State Bar.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: 3+ years of experience in private practice or with a government agency, or combination of such experience, handling transactional, compliance and litigation matters.