Food Access Manager - Retail Markets
Posted 9/5/23 - OBJECTIVE: Expand access to fresh, healthy affordable foods in our region through management of Capital Roots’ Retail Food Access Programs: the Veggie Mobile® and the Veggie Mobile® Sprout, Healthy Stores Program, Urban Grow Center Market and other new pop-ups opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires an organized and self-motivated candidate with staff and project management skills. Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of relevant work and management experience. Must have a commitment to our local food system, healthy food access and a passion for Capital Roots’ mission. Excellent customer service and communication skills; previous experience with retail sales and food are a plus. Experience working with diverse communities, a positive attitude, high energy level and the ability to lift 50 lbs. Must also have a valid driver's license with the ability to drive and a driving record acceptable for insurance coverage.
• Manage Capital Roots’ Retail Programs including: Mobile Markets (Veggie Mobile® and the Veggie Mobile® Sprout), Healthy Stores Program, the Urban Grow Center Market, and Healthy Retail Pop-Ups
• Supervise the retail markets team members to ensure achievement of programmatic goals, and work with the Volunteer Coordinator to manage volunteers and interns
• Train staff, volunteers, and interns in hospitality and customer service
• Work with the Communications Team to develop and implement outreach and education materials for the all Retail Programs
• Coordinate Retail Programs finances, including monitoring grant budgets and maintaining daily/monthly accounting reports
• Support team to maintain regular reporting and data collection efforts including those associated with programmatic outputs, local food purchasing, financial information, grant deliverables and others requirements as needed
• Work closely with Food Hub Manager to ensure goals and needs are met for food programs
• Collaborate with other members of the Capital Roots’ Management Team to create cross-program collaboration and efficiency, create staff development opportunities and cultivate our unique organizational culture
• Work with Capital Roots’ Chief Program Officer for Food Access to help achieve the organization’s mission and strengthen programming
• Other duties as assigned
SALARY & BENEFITS: This is a full-time non-exempt position (40 hours per week) paid at an annual rate of $39,520 per year, in a flexible work environment. Excellent benefits including comprehensive medical insurance and dental insurance upon hire. In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays – including three floating holidays – and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan.
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to cultivate and nourish communities by creating equitable access to fresh foods and green space in support of a robust regional food system. To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org.
Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
Send cover letter and resume (no calls please) to:
Sarah Hotaling, Chief Program Officer | 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180 | email: [email protected]